Canada’s First Submarines
By Cdr John Gabel (Ret’d)
The Canadian Navy was established 04 May 1910. By the start of World War 1 the navy possessed two older cruisers provided by the RN. These were the Niobe (stationed in Halifax) and Rainbow (stationed in Esquimalt). By that time the RN had withdrawn their naval contingent which had been protecting Canada’s west coast and were concentrating their forces in the UK and Mediterranean, in anticipation of fighting a large and capable German home fleet.